
I am glad to say the ten to twelve hours of work a day go by very quickly and I am very interested in what I do. The group is great and I am learning more at this job than any other simply by doing my work and asking a lot of questions.
Fourth of July in the city was very fun. It was a little weird to have a Wednesday off from work, but it worked. Ended up watching the fireworks on the east river water front. My roommates, a friend and I went to watch the show. At first we were hit by the rain. Then the crowds blocked our view, so we ended up running down FDR a few blocks to enjoy the light show as the rain lightened up. It was a good time. After, we had dinner at a classic NY diner.

The city is very expensive. It is easy to spend $60-80 in a few hours on dinner, transportation and beverages. I have done this a few times, but I figure I am only in the city for a couple months.
I did go visit a friend up at W 105 st. It was my first time I was slightly uncomfortable in the city, especially when I was taking the subway home early in the morning. Fortunately, everything worked well and I made it home and proceeded to sleep in.
It is very interesting how the weeks are tremendously busy and then the weekends are very open. One cool trip I took with a UCLA friend was to Brooklyn where I went to the Brooklyn museum, a afro-punk concert after, then a regular bar followed by a salsa bar. All a great experience and maybe I even improved my merengue abilities.
On a cool fashion note, by some random happenstance, two ties my mother gave me before graduation ended up perfectly matching two shirts (maroon and apple-green, respectively). Because of this, and realizing I really have no other chances to utilize the combination, I wore the the tie-shirt pair to work the last two days.
Otherwise, things are going well. I am starting to make some friends and the city has an energy and life that just gets you excited when you are walking the streets. Side note: V for Vendetta is a very cool movie. Enjoy.
2 comments:
We Marshes are all glad to hear you're well. And I totally agree on V For Vendetta. Badass movie.
I found that food in the city ranged from really cheap really good pizza joints to really expensive sushi. Some of the best food I had was at a pizza shop that was pretty far uptown, within site of the housing projects, but it was cheap and good. For drinks a friend of mine who goes to school in NYC showed me one of the best and cheapest ways to get drunk I've ever found in any city. It didn't have any formal name that I could tell. NYU students call is Coopers but thats because its on Cooper Square. It did say Asian Pub on the door and after some google searching I'm pretty sure that this is it. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=asian+pub+near+university+square,+new+york,+new+york&ie=UTF8&ll=40.728137,-73.988349&spn=0.009643,0.018475&z=16&om=1. We took the subway to alastor place and walked about three blocks so even if thats not the exact address it can't be far. The food is decently priced and pretty good but the real reason to go is the drinks. GIant booze filled concoctions for $4/each. We ate a lot of food and drank until we were all very smashed for about 25 bucks each. The only bad thing about it is that we liked it so much we stopped looking for new bars and kept going back. I highly recommend it.
Post a Comment